The Club’s inaugural meeting, at the Swan Hotel Stafford in 1950, offered Membership, or Associate Membership uniquely to the Members of five Chartered Institutions, Architects, Auctioneers and Estate Agents, Civil Engineers, Municipal Engineers, and Surveyors. Planners and Structural Engineers were added to the list as the Club developed until, in 1993, the list was redefined and Membership widened to embrace generally Members of Chartered Institutions involved with the land and its use.
The Club celebrated its half centenary in the millennium year. In the early years speakers included Patrick, Lord Lichfield the eminent photographer and Phil Drabble of Television “One Man and His Dog” fame. More recently Sir Neville Simms, prominent in civil engineering businesses in the UK, was a visiting speaker.
Representatives from Venables timber merchants gave talks about the reconstruction work at St Georges Chapel, Windsor Castle after the fire and at York Minster. An ex Spitfire pilot member called in Reginald Mitchell’s nephew to talk about the life of this important aeronautical engineer. The reconstruction of the gardens at Biddulph Grange featured at a Ladies Night meeting, as did a speaker from the famous Moorcroft Pottery in Stoke on Trent.
Photographs show some of the contributions Members have made to the infrastructure and environment of Staffordshire over the years.